The Monteleone castle rose as a colony of Orvieto between the year 1000 and 1100 at the crossroad where the Orvietana Cassia branch to Perugia and Siena. In the XIIth and XIIIth century, Monteleone was in the constellation of the Monaldeschi castles and it found itself in the middle of the fights between the Counts from Marsciano and the Bandini from Città della Pieve. The Filippeschi set fire to the castle in 1328. After it passed in several hands in 1494 (Villata, Ugolino of Montemarte. Bartolomeo della Rovere etc.) it returns to the commune of Orvieto which build a fortress, the cistern, the drawbridge, walls and towers. Alessandro VIth Borgia gave it to his son Cesare in 1498.
During the Barberina for Castro war, toscan troops occupied Castiglione del Lago and Città della Pieve, they were also attested to Monteleone (1643), harshly contended by Papal and Grand-ducal troops until the end of the conflict, when the Florentines destroyed the fortress. Exhumed of the catacomb of San Ponziano in 1778, the body of San Teodoro, presented to the town.
How to reach to
Nearest railway station is Fabro
S. Egidio airport is far from Monteleone di Orvieto km.
International Fiumicino (Rome) airport is far from Monteleone di Orvieto km. 185
Further information about Perugia Monteleone di Orvieto
Population n° 1607
Surface Kmq. 23
H. a.see level m. 500
Useful telephone numers
Hospital +39 763 42071
Ambulance +39 763 41727
Doctor +39 763 90284
Pharmacy +39 763 84172
Police +39 744 113
Taxi+39 763 90303
A.P.T. phone:+39 763 341772
Re-enactment of the faud between the noble houses of Montemarte and Marsciano August 16