Ancient hamlet of Roman - Etruscan fishers. In the middleages two towers with ogival gates were build to keep watch over the primitive village, on top of a costly rock and stil today protected by the rests of ancient walIs. Passignano had always been from great importance because it is situated on the compulsory passage between Umbria and Toscana, and for this strategic position, it underwent numerous plunderings, assaults and destructions in the past epochs. In 217 b.C., the promontory on which the village arises was useful to Hannibal to bar the road to the troops of consul Caio Flaminio, in retreat after the defeat in the battle of Trasimeno. In 917, the emperor Berengario gave it in feud to marquis Uguccione del Monte.
Subjected to Perugia it was many times ravaged in the fights between Perugia, Arezzo and Florenz. Fenced with walls, it was under the seignory of the Baglioni until 1520 and therefore of the Oddi and the Della Corgna, who in 1643 ceded it to the Grand Duke from Toscana, for centuries, Passignano continued being a little hamlet of fishers. In 1904, thanks to the engagement of doctor Grifi, native passignanese personage, the first partnership of navigation on the Trasimeno has been formed, which began to assure the connections with the other villages of the lake and the Maggiore and Polvese isles.
From 1916 to 1922, Passignano gave hospitality to the first flying school for seaplanes of the Regio Italian army, which gratuated the majority of pilots protagonists of the flight across the Atlantic in 1931. From great touring importance, the Trasimeno is for extension the fourth in Italy and the biggest of peninsular Italy, having a surface of about 124 square kilometres. Three little islands are comprised in it: Polvese isle (the largest), Maggiore isle and Minore isle which, together, don't reach the surface of one square kilometre.
How to reach to
Nearest railway station is in città
S. Egidio airport is far from Passignano sul Trasimeno km. 45
International Fiumicino (Rome) airport is far from Passignano sul Trasimeno km. 205
Further information about Perugia Passignano sul Trasimeno
Population n° 4665
Surface Kmq. 81
H. a.see level m. 289
Useful telephone numers
Hospital +39 75 827195
Ambulance +39 75 827159
Doctor +39 75 827159
Pharmacy +39 75 827227
Police +39 75 113
Taxi+39 75 70800
A.P.T. phone:+39 75 9652484
Patron Saint - San Cristoforo July 25
The palio of the boats July
Fish's feast September
Feast of San Cristoforo at Castel Rigone November 8
The towers with the ogival gates
The San Feliciano fishery museum
The S. Rocco oratory
The San Bernardino Church
The San Cristoforo Church (XIth century)
The churches of San Donato and San Vito
Castel Rigone with the rests of the castle (XIIIth century) and the Madonna dei Miracoli church
Monte Ruffiano with the rests of the castle erected in the 1000'
Montigeto with the Madonna dell'Uliveto sanctuary (17the century)
Pisciello, picturesque hamlet for its clear water fountain
The little localities of Bastia Corgna, San Donato, San Vito, Trecine and Torre di Fiume.