Roman-Etruscan origins, like all Nothern Umbrian centres, suffers invasions, plundering and destruction from Hannibale onwards. It was fortified in the Middle-age.
Citerna is situated on a hill between the Cerfone and Sovara streams in dominant position over the Tiberina valley. Ancient Civitas Sobariae (or Castrum Citarnae) from ancient origins, its territory was densely populated even in Roman age how findings of fictiles and coins testify, which took place especially between S. Fista and Pistrino. Destroyed by the Goths of Totila, it was rebuild by the Aretinis and became feud of the Marquis of Colle, then of Monte Bourbon. In 1199, to evade ambushes of the neighbouring communes, it went in submission of Città di Castello, renewed in 1273, it was subjugated by the powerful family of Tarlati from Pietramala where it remained until 1340, then asks together with Città di Castello for protection to the Perugians. Once more governed by Pietramala and then by Malatesta, until it passed to the Papal-State. In the begining of the 1500's, Citerna was given in vicar to the family Vitelli from Città di Castello which, with alternate events and after having it enriched with work of art and monuments, kept it until the end of the century.
Two great pestilences at Citerna caused many victims in 1619 and 1630. 1849, Citerna gave hospitality to Garibaldi whilst he retreated towards Ravenna and in 1860 it entered to be part of the Italian Kingdom (first of all Umbrian cities).
Nearest railway station is Arezzo
S. Egidio airport is far from Citerna km. 63
International Fiumicino (Rome) airport is far from Citerna km. 275
Further information about Perugia Citerna
Population n° 2880
Surface Kmq. 25
H. a.see level m. 480
Useful telephone numers
Hospital +39 75 85091
Ambulance +39 75 8554731
Doctor +39 75 8509300
Pharmacy +39 75 8592166
Police +39 75 113
Taxi+39 75 8554406
A.P.T. phone:+39 75 8554922